Sunday, June 26, 2005

The Bluegrass Reader

Your very humble blogger spends some of his down time reading about music.

Currently I'm reading The Bluegrass Reader, which was edited by Thomas Goldsmith and published by the University of Illinois Press as part of their music in American life series.

I picked it up at the Fall River Public Library and, though I'm not a huge bluegrass fan, I'm finding the book interesting and a lot of fun.

It features a collection of articles from across the decades by folk musician/producer/etc. Jim Rooney, country star Marty Stuart, folk guy Mike Seeger, archivist Alan Lomax, gonzo writer Hunter S. Thompson, and many others.

Articles are about Bill Monroe, Flatt and Scruggs, the Stanley Brothers, the Osborne Brothers, women in bluegrass, and even Narrows alums Peter Rowan and Jerry Douglas.

I hope to finish the book over the next few days, so I might be returning the book to the library on North Main Street by this coming Saturday.

No comments: