Tuesday, August 09, 2005

"Living on peanut butter and jelly and $4 burritos..."

Thursday, August 18th, the Narrows Center for the Arts welcomes for the first time Ryan Montbleau along with his band. Since his is a new name on the circuit, we thought a brief interview might be helpful as you choose what to do entertainment-wise on that date.

Q. Could you write out your last name phonetically so we pronounce it correctly?

mont - BLEW. The correct French pronounciation is montBLOW, but my mother always said it the other way, so I'm going with mont and the color blue (which I believe is what it means anyway). Plus, I'd rather not have "blow" in my last name. But spelling it phonetically, I guess I can't avoid it! Bummer. Next question...

Q. When folks come to your show, what should they expect? Lots of ballads, upbeat stuff? Even comedy? Since you're a new artist, people like to know what to expect.


Well, I tend to play all sorts of different shows, so it really depends on the night. On a weekend club-date with the full band, we can really funk it up and get people moving. But I really prefer a listening room, where the slower stuff can be just as powerful. No matter what, we always aim to play the room. Our mission is to sound as good as possible so that people enjoy themselves. I want people to say "I had a good time" much more than "That band is good." People can expect an eclectic mix of music.

Q. How do you describe your music?


We really do bounce all over the map with our songs. I'd like to think that all of it is "soulful." One can expect to hear soul-infused folk songs, two-step rippers, a few ballads, tight funk, true rhythm and blues and all-around American music. It is rooted in something older than ourselves, sort of a rootsy soul music with a breath of fresh air.I hope that helps! I still have trouble describing it all...

Q. As a performer, what do you look for in a performance space? We know when you come to the Narrows, it will be your favorite! But for now, what are some of your favorite venues?

I loved The Point in Bryn Mawr, PA. The Paradise in Boston is nice and cozy for me. And I will always miss the House of Blues that was here in Cambridge, MA. One major thing for me is the overall attitude as soon as you walk in the place. There's a vibe that you can really pick up on at many clubs. If it's full of rude bouncers and a club-owner who could care less, treating you like a second-hand employee (which happens), that's not the place for me. But if people are simply kind to you and appreciative of what you do, that makes all the difference in the world. I love a place where people can truly listen, not just come and get drunk.

Q. Have you gotten a lot of flack from family members in your choice of profession?


No, my family is very supportive of what I do. I'll admit, my parents were a tad concerned when I got my English degree (which they paid for) and said, "I want to be a musician!" But they know that I'm in this for the right reasons and it is truly what I believe in doing. Now they support me 100% and there is no way in the world I could have done this without them. Studying that poetry in college has proven to be crucial for my songwriting, just to cite one example.

Q. Any radio stations playing your stuff? If so, which ones? Maybe the Narrows crowd will follow up and request your songs.


WERS 88.9fm in Boston has been supporting me for years. It's Emerson College radio, and one of the top college radio stations (if not THE top) in the country. That's the main one, but I've also been played on WBOS 92.9 and many college stations in random parts of the country. I haven't pushed much for radio play, but I certainly will when this new record comes out in the fall.

Q. What are the most difficult things you face in the life of a performer?


Paying my rent!I guess just instability in general. I've come to understand that there will never be much stability at any level in the music business. But especially where I am now, with no real support for the touring, no surefire way of making records, I'm really in a place where I have to struggle every day to get the music out there. It's all on the up and up, so I'm not overly concerned. But I'm working my tail off, believe you me. Sleeping on floors, making barely enough money to get by, living on peanut butter and jelly and $4 burritos...Those are the good parts! Difficult is getting out of debt and facing the unknown every day. Pouring out emotion in your songs night after night after night can start to wear on you as well. Still, I love making music more than anything and the ability to do that for a living far outweighs any difficulties that come along with it times ten.


Q. Where do you want to be in five years in your career as an artist?


I'd like to still be playing live as much as I can, and be in a situation where I can make records the right way---you know, to really have support behind me as an artist. But the fundamentals are the same---I want to roll into a different town every night and have people waiting there to listen to my music.


Q. What are you listening to these days? Any recommendations of CDs and artists we might want to check out (In addition to yourself, of course!).


Well, I think everybody should hear Martin Sexton if they haven't already. Everyone should experience that man in person at least once. "Black Sheep" would probably be my disc of choice, but you really can't go wrong. Peter Prince of Moon Boot Lover is another artist that I think everyone should hear. He's become a good friend and I still remain a straight-out fan. I listen to "Back on Earth" regularly. And it seems everyone's caught on to Ray LaMontagne by now. "Trouble" is one of the best new discs I've heard in years.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just bought Peter Prince's (Moonboot Lover) Live Deep Down again. I had it years ago, and let someone borrow it, and I never saw it again. It is as good as ever. "NYC" is such a great song.