Saturday, December 26, 2009

R.I.P. Vic Chestnutt

I was listening to the BBC World Service overnight when I learned that Vic Chestnutt, who opened for Jonathan Richman at the Narrows in 2009, has died. To the right is a photo I took at his performance.

He was particularly known for working with Michael Stipe of R.E.M. and for the recording of his songs by Madonna and others on a benefit album.

During his visit to the Narrows, I recall briefly speaking with him. To the best of my knowledge, he's the first Narrows' artist to perform in a wheelchair, which he needed as a result of an automobile accident when he was a teenager.

It's been reported that Chestnutt, who is said to have taken his own life, was depressed from high hospital bills he incurred. This is the second time this year that medical costs have possibly played a role in the death of a Narrows' alum. Jay Bennett, formerly of Wilco, needed an operation he couldn't afford, and reportedly overdosed on a painkiller as reported here.

From what I read from various sites, Narrows alum Kristin Hersh's Twitter messages alerted many to Chestnutt's coma and subsequent passing.

To see a NY Times report, please click here.

2 comments:

Gal Friday said...

Shocked and saddened to read this sad news. I was at that Narrows show this summer. Was there to see Jonathan Richman, but was impressed by Vic's songs and got to chat with him a little after the show.

Anonymous said...

Vic wanted to die he loved the notion it is a "sad parade"