Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Merle Haggard: He Is What He Is

I Am What I Am--Merle Haggard--"What kind of music do you usually have here," asks Elwood Blues, in the 1980s movie The Blues Brothers.  "Oh, we got both kinds," says the waitress.  "We got country AND western."  That's what I Am What I Am is--both country AND western.  More specifically it reflects the Bakersfield Sound,  from Bakersfield, CA.  This is plain, down home C & W with few, if any, studio enhancements.  Mr. Haggard's voice is right up front, clearly articulating the lyrics so you don't miss his points.  The recording is dressed up a bit--with trumpet, piano, fiddle, backing vocals from his wife, and more--so this is far from rustic.  If you like Tom Russell, Dave Alvin or Gram Parsons but haven't listened much to Merle, I Am What I Am may be a fine introduction.

No comments: