Sunday, January 23, 2011

Six Years Blogging

A note to thank everyone following Backstage at the Narrows since it launched in January 2005, or who joined in over the six year journey. That means you.

The backstory: I was reading the paper in early 2005 and saw that "Blogger" was providing the opportunity to blog for free. So I fired up the computer and checked out how it worked. Since it wasn't too difficult, I figured I'd add it to my volunteer duties at the Narrows Center for the Arts. Back then there weren't many of us, and we'd do one or two shows a week, with some breaks in-between. A slower pace than today.

It was fun, and I appreciate the hard work of Patrick and Maggie Norton, Bert Harlow and others to keep the music playing even when things were a bit tight. Got to hang out with stars, haul equipment like a rock 'n' roll roadie, emcee and generally enjoy the sounds and talk music with my friends.

With the blog, it became even more fun--though I remember asking people from the stage if they knew what "blog" meant. Most didn't for a few years. Not sure how many were reading it; still not sure, frankly, although people tell me they do. There's probably some way to electronically track how many are checking it out, but I've never gotten around to figuring out how to do it.

I hope you enjoy perusing Backstage at the Narrows as much as I enjoy writing and taking photos for it. There are more than a thousand entries which constitute a permanent on-line, easy-to-reference "first draft" of the Narrows' history. Proud to have provided it, and consider myself fortunate.

No biggie, though. Did it, and continue doing it, just for fun.


3 comments:

Arnez said...

Keep up the good work...I read your blog all of the time.

John said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
John said...

Yeah. I like to check in with your blog - particularly after a show I have attended. Thanks.

Btw, I recommend Statcounter - a free tracking service - to see how many hits your blog gets; where the hits come from; how often the same user returns, etc. It's fairly simple to use. http://statcounter.com/