Monday, June 27, 2011

Buy This Now

KMAG YOYO--Hayes Carll--Narrows alum Hayes Carll's latest is one of the funnest recordings you'll hear, somewhere between a John Prine and a John Anderson record--twangy, goofy, poignant, and thought-provoking.

First, the name of the project: KMAG YOYO, which, I learned, is military slang for "Kiss My Ass Guys, You're On Your Own." It's the title of a stream-of-consciousness tune a la Dylan about...well, let Hayes tell it:

Put me in the Army on the day that I turned seventeen
Here I am standin' in the desert with a gun
Thought of going AWOL but I'm too afraid to run

But it's the song "Another Like You," a duet with Cary Ann Hearst, that may be up there with Mr. Carll's previous "hit" "She Left Me for Jesus." Check out this video, featuring a cameo from political couple James Carville (operative for the Democrats) and his wife, conservative icon Mary Matalin.

Another fab outing for Hayes, who last played the Narrows in 2009. Hope we get him back soon.


No comments: