Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Kris Delmhorst:DIY

One of the first shows I ever worked at the Narrows was the Kris Delmhorst show about three years back. I didn't know much about her at the time, but I had listened to her CD "Five Stories." It was outstanding, and I told her that I thought it could lead to a big record contract.

She didn't seemed interested.

Recently, I picked up Boston Globe folk writer Scott Alarik's book "Deep Community, Adventures in the Folk Underground," and found Kris saying pretty much the same thing.

"People think a record deal is everybody's goal...I just haven't seen any evidence that would make it an appealing thing for me to do. The number of nightmare record-company stories I've heard vastly outnumbers the happy stories of people actually having a career encouraged and maintained by a record company on any kind of long-term basis. What it comes down to is that I really can't imagine giving that much control of my music and my records, which matter so much to me, to a record company."

Be sure to catch this uncompromising, intelligent musician at the Narrows on Friday, May 13.


Submitted by Steve the Emcee, who is, once again, hiding out in his CT retreat.

No comments: