Wednesday, May 18, 2005

JJ Baron Wants to Own a Home in 5 Years!

Friday, June 3, JJ Baron has a CD release party at the Narrows. JJ's new CD features great tunes and great players, including Jim Weider, formerly of The Band.

If you come to a lot of Narrows' shows, you've probably seen JJ open, as a solo artist or with a backing group. We wanted you to get to know this rising young artist a bit better, before he's so famous he won't even answer our questions.

Question: How did you learn to play and sing so well?

A. I played and PLAYED the guitar and sang and sang and sang. It's a very very lonesome job, a lot of ALONE time....

Question: Your songs seem well-crafted. Does songwriting take a lot of time?

A. I started writing before I could play guitar, lyrics and poems, songs with melodies in my head...I started at 11 or 12. I use to rap with a turntable. Those were the days!

Question: Are you searching for a major label? Or are you planning to go the "indie" route for your recordings?

A. Searching? No, we have an aim and destination when it comes to a major label.

Question: What music are you listening to these days? Any artists you would recommend to the readers?

A. Local Artist: Michael Troy, Ryan Fitzsimmons, Jenna Nicholls, The Lingo,Lindsay Mac.....National: Tom Waits, Ryan Adams, Doug Burr, Slaid Cleaves, Townes Van Zandt, Paul Westerberg, Iron and Wine.....

Question: Those of us who have been following your career know that you have been considering moving outside of New England. Any plans in the works right now?

A. Boston or New York, New York or Boston??? That is the question....maybe Nashville for a little while, but not to go there and struggle; maybe to hang there for awhile....

Question: Where do you want to be in your music career 5 years from now?

A. I want to be able to buy a house within 5 years. I'm 22 now and by the timeI'm 23 I hope to be touring nonstop/writing and recording.... those things are in the works right now, which is nice! Five years I hope to be able to make a good living. I think it will be an adventure!

No comments: