Friday, May 06, 2005

We Interview Kris Delmhorst!!!

As you know, singer/songwriter Kris Delmhorst is playing the Narrows on Friday, May 13th, for the first time in many years. Yes, we know it will be Friday the 13th, but we think that anybody who comes to the show will be very lucky anyway!

We caught up with Kris, who has been on tour, to ask a few questions.

Question: You seem to tour practically non-stop. When do you have down time?

I'm actually pretty careful about building in down time. The schedule is pretty cyclical, so when a record comes out I'll tour pretty hard for up to a year, then ease off for a while to get the next one ready. I'm actually headed into the down part of the cycle right now. and I always take at least one solid month off a year, sometimes two. Otherwise no writing happens.

Question: What CDs are you listening to these days? Any recommendations?

I've been listening to a ton of stuff. I'm completely smitten with Iron & Wine's new EP "Woman King." I love the new Keren Ann record. And Beck's new one is great too.

Question: Your latest CD is "Songs for a Hurricane." Since it's been out awhile, is there anything you wish you did differently on the CD?

To tell you truth, I haven't listened to anything from that record in over a year, so nothing leaps to mind. I certainly learned a lot of lessons from the making of it but I always think of them more as things to take to the next project, rather than worrying too much about the ones that are already done.

Question: Tell us about the "Redbird" project.

It's a record that I did for fun with Peter Mulvey, Jeffrey Foucault, & David Goodrich. Covers mostly, just songs we like. We recorded it live in a living room around one microphone and had a great time. We just finished spending the whole month of April touring it around the country.

Question: Are you planning your next CD? If so, when do you think it will be released?

Working on writing it right now. It'll be next year sometime but still no concrete idea of when.

Question: Any television or network radio appearances coming up? Didn't you just do something on one of the satellite radio stations?

Redbird taped shows on both Sirius and XM satellite radio stations. I myself won't be focusing on any of that stuff til the next record comes out.

No comments: