Saturday, March 22, 2008

Catherine Russell, Vocalist


One of the strongest vocalists ever to perform at the Narrows, Catherine Russell, turned our former factory floor into a circa 1929 supper club. 

She and her group--a pianist, stand-up bassist and guitarist/banjoist--breathed life into songs performed by the likes of Ella Fitzgerald, Louis Armstrong and--leaping the decades--Jerry Garcia.

Catherine belted out the blues with such passion she could have put aside the microphone.  

If you missed her this time around you might want to pick up her latest CD, Sentimental Streak.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi. I attended this show, and thought it was great. It was my first time at the narrows. I am 19 and a student at URI. For one of my writing projects this semester I am asked to describe a place in vivid detail and I decided the narrows would be a perfect place with the music and art exhibit. The art gallery was the paper exhibit and I was wondering if there is any way I could retrieve the blurb that was on the original website about the exhibit?

Thanks for your help.
Danielle Cote

danielle_cote@mail.uri.edu