Saturday, March 01, 2008

A Good Read

As I battled a bad cold or a mild case of the flu, I finished up reading The Sound of Our Town, written by Brett Milano.

It's about Boston rock & roll, from the 1950s to the present day.  Since I was on the very fringe of the scene in the mid to late 1970s (I was a DJ at Boston College's WZBC, and interviewed several Boston legends (Willie Alexander being one (at least I think I interviewed him; my memory is foggy))), I had a ball reading this.  

If you are unaware of the Boston scene, you still might enjoy the book, since it's a breezy read and mentions some names you may know: Dinosaur Jr.; Kristen Hersh (a Narrows alum); the Mighty Mighty Bosstones; the Dresden Dolls; David Champagne of Narrows alums The Heygoods; Jonathan Richman; the Dropkick Murphys; Boston; and many others.

The author has written for the Boston Phoenix and the Boston Globe.  If you've ever read the Boston Phoenix, you probably recognized his name.  Chances are his writing has been in the Providence Phoenix.




No comments: