Friday, July 02, 2010

Backlash?

Lifted Off the Ground--Chely Wright--Narrows fans may only be vaguely aware of Ms.Wright's work as a mainstream country artist, with some major hits, including Single White Female, back about 10 years ago.  In 2001, she worked with Narrows alum Dr. Ralph Stanley, appearing on his Clinch Mountain Sweethearts album, so members of our bluegrass community may be familiar with her through that.  More likely, you know her because in May of this year her autobiography was published, revealing she is leading a life that some think is outside the mainstream country norm.  If you want to read about that, here's a link.  Let's talk music, instead. Rodney Crowell, whom we hope to have play the Narrows soon, produced the disc, played some guitar on it, and co-wrote one of the tunes with Ms. Wright, who wrote the rest herself.  And they're well worth hearing, starting with the first track, a catchy number called I'm Broken: 

Why can't you just believe in me?/ Not everyone is the enemy/I'm trying hard I swear I am/I'm doin' the best I can/But I'm Broken.

She's a fabulous singer, the production is tasteful--sometimes even Beatlesque--and Ms. Wright knows how to write a song, which isn't surprising since she's been composing for herself and others for a long time.  The CD has apparently not been a success on mainstream country radio, but is picking up support from Americana stations.  So she might be getting backlash from the Nashville establishment.  Nonetheless, Lifted Off the Ground is a winner.  Their loss.

No comments: