Thursday, July 22, 2010

Self-Critical: Crooked Still's Vocalist Working To Improve

"I’ve gotten totally slammed for my horrible diction in the past in reviews," said New England Conservatory-trained vocalist Aoife O'Donovan, 27, of the alternative bluegrass ensemble Crooked Still.

We were chatting "backstage" at the Narrows about 45 minutes before show time Thursday night (July 22, 2010), and I had complimented her on being a disciplined vocalist. "I think that I tend to mumble when I sing," she said. Some of her former teachers attend Crooked Still shows and provide her criticism afterwards. "And I encourage it from friends who I respect as well." She said she's working hard to improve. This from one of the finest young singers on today's roots music scene. "It all comes down to Aoife O'Donovan's vocals," wrote the Washington Post in May, 2010. "Sure, the music...owes much to the players' mastery, but it's O'Donovan's vocals that set it apart."

Ms. O'Donovan's upbringing, in West Newton, Massachusetts, was filled with music. Both her parents are musicians, and her father, Brian O'Donovan, from West Cork, Ireland, has a long-running Celtic radio program on public broadcasting powerhouse WGBH in Boston. You would, of course, think she grew up immersed in the culture of the Emerald Isle. Maybe, but when she and her parents would sing together at home it would be songs from Bob Dylan and Richard Thompson, and she was "into" Joan Baez. "I wasn't really singing that much Celtic music." She spoke fondly of her time as a student of the Newton (Massachusetts) North High School music department.

We can only hope her "poor" diction--not evident to these ears during Crooked Still's concert Thursday night---continues to be overlooked by the public, since she claims she has no other skills that will enable her to earn a living. That's the danger of going to music school, she said. "I'm not really equipped to do anything else at this point."

2 comments:

None said...

I love everything about Aoife's vocals... and Aoife! We should all be working to improve... but I like Aoife just as she is! Nothing was said about her songwriting or choice of material. That also sets her apart. One of her songs is in the new movie, "Get Low" starring Robert Duvall.

Mark Belanger said...

It was a great show.

What a refreshing attitude this fine singer has - especially compared to the train-wreck prima donnas one often finds in pop music and film.

I think this was my third time seeing them at the Narrows. In the first show cellist Tristan Clarridge and fiddler Brittany Haas were new to than band and I was impressed at how well they played off one another. Time has only made the band gel better and the "new" members play with increasing confidence.

As far as Aoife's vocals go. Before I saw this band, I was expecting the her whispery vocal style wouldn't work well in a live show. Boy was I wrong. And I wouldn't get too worked up about her wanting to improve - all great musicians are constantly working at their craft. I'd be more concerned if she wasn't.