Monday, August 09, 2010

Retro's Reality


I Learned the Hard Way--Sharon Jones & the Dap-Kings--When is retro a retread? With a number of retro acts on the scene, it's worth exploring. Hmm. One of the more over-the-top retros is the Chesterfield Kings, sounding like the Rolling Stones. I've got their Psychedelic Sunrise CD, and I like it, although it's "name the riff" when I listen. ("Doesn't that part sound like 'Ruby Tuesday?'") The group that invented retro in the rock era--if such a claim could be made--was the Flamin' Groovies. They're fun, although to these ears they covered songs that didn't need it--like "Kicks," and, with all due respect, "Tallahassee Lassie."

There are others. And then there's Sharon Jones & the Dap-Kings, who just played the Newport Folk Festival. A friend who saw them said he didn't care if they sounded like old Motown--what's original these days anyway? His bottom line: he likes 'em.

Sharon Jones & the Dap-Kings' I Learned the Hard Way, recorded, like in the olden days, on an Ampex 8-track tape machine according to the group's website, does sound like Diana Ross and the Supremes and maybe the Superfly soundtrack. But--and here's the important point to me--it's not an imitation. This is not a tribute group; rather, these musicians are embracing a sound, a niche, yes, a gimmick, that works for them. Sharon Jones is a talented, soulful singer who gets it done. The instrumentalists--clever and cool! The songs: as far as I can tell they're all of recent vintage, mostly written by the listed performers.

Deep in my heart--I can't help myself here--I believe the world would be a better place if the music of Sharon Jones & the Dap-Kings (and blue-eyed soul singer/guitarist James Hunter, too) was blasting out of radio stations targeting the younger set, and their iPods and smartphones.

No comments: