Saturday, August 21, 2010

RIP Kenny Edwards

Very sad to note the passing of Narrows alum Kenny Edwards, founder of the Stone Poneys ("Different Drum" was a hit for them in the late 1960s with Linda Ronstadt at the vocals), musical associate of Linda Rondstadt during her prolific 1970s period, and longtime musical associate of Narrows alum Karla Bonoff as well as Andrew Gold ("Thank You For Being a Friend").

The LA Times reports he was suffering from cancer and a blood disorder. He collapsed in Denver while on tour with Karla, the paper reported, and hospitalized, dying Wednesday in California.

I know the crew at the Narrows who worked with him liked him and enjoyed working with him. A great talent and fine gentleman.

Karla Bonoff posted this message on her website, marking his passing: "I want to thank him for being my teacher, my musical partner and my best friend for the last forty-three years." Linda Ronstadt called him a "beacon to me" in an extensive remembrance of Kenny in an LA Times blog. To see that remembrance, click here.

For all of the entries about Kenny I've blogged, please click here.

No comments: