Thursday, December 22, 2011

The Faves of 2011

Thanks for all the nice messages about my retiring from the Narrows. Thank you Patrick Norton for the very kind blog post as well.

Before exiting this blog, I wanted to do, for one last time, a wrap up on the year. Please feel free to add your thoughts.

Some of my favorites:

--David Johansen in January. Very New York. An honor to hear the guy who created one of my all-time favorite records: "Funky But Chic."

--Los Straitjackets in February. Guaranteed crowd-pleasers.

--Joan Osborne in March. Went into the show thinking I wouldn't like. Came out a fan!

--Rodney Crowell in March. Classy. I read his book, too. Chinaberry Sidewalks.

--George Winston in March. I didn't do the show but my significant other, Laura, did and really loved it. Since the show she's ponied up and bought a couple of his CDs. No greater tribute.

--Janis Ian in April. Another show I went into thinking I wouldn't like, but was knocked over by her talent. If you get a chance to see her, don't pass it by.

--Soul Rebels Brass Band in June. Great energy and musicianship.

--Jake Shimabukuro in July. Brilliance with class.

--Tommy Castro Band and friends in August. Tommy breathes new life into the blues.

--Deke Dickerson in September. Great energy, fantastic musicianship and upside down guitar playing by Deke's drummer Sugarballs. These guys know how to entertain!

--Rosanne Cash in November. One of the classiest shows I've ever seen.

--Lake Street Dive in December. New and worth noticing.

--Justin Townes Earle in December. I really looked forward to this show and was not disappointed. JTE is a solid songwriter and performer. He knows what he's doing.

And, of course, the last two shows I worked, Duncan Sheik and Savoy Brown, were faves. I didn't think I would like Duncan Sheik but something about his vibe I really enjoyed. Talented singer, too, by the way. And Savoy Brown--founder Kim Simmonds on lead guitar--is always solid.

But enough about me. Please post your favorites and why.

Then I'll land this plane.

No comments: