Friday, July 22, 2005

John Prine's Accordian Player on Titanic

John Prine has pretty much the number one CD in Americana music with his "Fair and Square" album. From looking at the picture, I'd guess John has false teeth these days. Good for him! Look at those pearly whites, baby. Flaunt 'em!

I've listened to a bit of the CD, and he kinda sounds like he has false teeth now.

It's okay. This is folk music.

"Dear Abby, dear Abby, my false teeth don't fit. My wife hollers at me, and my house is a pit!" Longtime John Prine fans--and I have been one since he started making records--will understand the reference to one of John's funniest tunes.

But that's not why I'm making this blog entry.

I happen to be listening to a new CD from the guy who plays accordian on "Fair and Square"--in fact, the guy has done a lot of work for John Prine and many others. His name is Phil Parlapiano. That's his real name. And he sometimes plays piano!

Currently I'm working on a review of his CD for americanaroots.com, so I was doing a bit of reading up on him. One of his claims to fame is that he was in the below-deck dancing scene in the movie "Titanic" playing the accordian. That's him behind Kate Winslet, one of Titanic's stars.

That reminds me of the time we had Peter Tork at the Narrows. His sideman, a wonderful guitarist whose name escapes me, played a Klingon in one episode of the original "Star Trek" television series in the 1960s.

Now you know. Aren't you glad you read this blog today?

No comments: