Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Darrell Scott: Songs, Songs, Songs

Who wrote "Long Time Gone" and "Heartbreak Town" for the Dixie Chicks? That guy with the beard over there, Darrell Scott. He also wrote stuff covered by Tim McGraw, Sara Evans, Garth Brooks (the anti-Hank), Travis Tritt, Patty Loveless etc.

On Friday, October 21st, we'll welcome him to the Narrows for the first time as a solo performer. He played the Narrows as a sideguy for Tim O'Brien a few years back.

Darrell is originally out of Kentucky, and cut his teeth as a player in his dad's band. Eventually he ended up in Boston, before locating to Nashville.

We recently emailed him some questions.


Q) You're seen as a songwriter and sideman. Are you seeking to add "solo performer in your own right" to this, or is the tour, the CDs more of a side project from the main gig?

If I am seen as a sideman and songwriter, it is because those who see me as such have not taken notice of the 5 solo albums (one as duo record with Tim O'Brien) that I have put out. Meanwhile, I am working on solo albums 6 and 7 which will be finished before this year is up. And still, I may be seen as a songwriter for others or sideman--go figure.

Q) You spent some years in the Boston area, which is 50 miles north of the Narrows. Were you a student up there? How did living there affect you?

I lived in the Boston area for 9 years. I graduated from Middlesex Community College in Bedford, Mass then graduated from Tufts University in '88. The education of poetry and literature--the arts--as well as being an audience member to great folk and jazz affected me nearly as much as the English degree.

Q) Your dad was a songwriter, is my understanding. What role has he played in your life artistically?

I was given a license to play music. It was an acceptable and encouraged way to make a living, and the exposure to great songs (my dad knew what great songwriting was) gave me a huge education in songs.

Q) When people come to see you at the Narrows, what kind of show might they expect? Upbeat; more of a ballad show. Country, folk?

All of the above--songs songs songs--I usually do not have a set list--I go by how I feel at the time and how it feels in the audience--I make it up as I go--extended improvised guitar solos/ bass solos--musical interludes between songs, sometimes running 2, 3 or 4 songs morphed together--mostly my own songs sometimes a cover of other's great songs--each night is pretty different--it is all singer/songwriter stuff with a lot of improvisation

Q) What artists are you listening to and recommending to others?

Loudon Wainright's new one (any of them for that matter)--Rodney Crowell's "Fate's Right Hand" is great--I have not heard his new one yet--Kevin Gilbert's "Thud"--I go through periods of not hearing much of other people's stuff--I am in one of those periods now

Q) Exactly how many instruments do you play?

On the road I may play 2 or 3 --I fool around on a lot at home or in the studio--no horns and not really any bowed instruments

No comments: